An employee of a tour bus company has been charged over a fatal road crash in Central Australia earlier this year, which killed a passenger and seriously injured several others.
- A 43-year-old man was charged on Wednesday with two counts of negligently causing serious harm
- The charges were in relation to a tour bus crash near Hermannsburg, in Central Australia
- A man, 69, was killed and multiple people were hospitalized after the crash
The bus crashed on Larapinta Drive, about five kilometers east of the remote community of Hermannsburg, on June 6.
In a statement issued this morning, Northern Territory Police said they had arrested and charged a 43-year-old man in Alice Springs yesterday with two counts of negligently causing serious harm.
Police at the time said the bus, which was carrying 19 people from the interstate, had rolled multiple times.
One passenger – a 69-year-old man – died at the scene, and multiple others were seriously injured and taken to Alice Springs Hospital for treatment.
The other passengers and the driver received lacerations and bruising.
“The man charged overnight is an employee of the tour company but not the driver of the bus,” Senior Detective Sergeant Brendan Lindner said.
“Police expect additional charges related to the death of a passenger and other injured passengers to be laid at a later time.”
The man has been danced to appear in the Alice Springs Local Court today.
The investigation into the crash by the Major Crash Investigations Unit is ongoing.